Sunday, October 9, 2011

Korean BBQ Short Ribs (Gal-Bi)

The first time I had Korean food was in Austin at Korea House off of Anderson Lane.  I was so in awe of all of the little side dishes (Banchan) that came with the meal.  I've found a few places since my first Korean food experience, but Korea House will always hold a special in my heart.  Over the next few weeks - I will share some of my favorite Korean recipes with yall...hope yall enjoy!!!

2 1/2 - 3 lbs. of Korean Style Short Ribs (Beef Chuck Flanken cut 1/3 to 1/2 inch thick - see pic)
3/4 c. Soy Sauce
1/2 c. Pineapple Juice
1 tbsp. White Vinegar
1/4 c. Dark Brown Sugar
2 tbsp. White Sugar
1 tbsp. Black Pepper, Freshly Ground
2 tbsp. Sesame Oil
1/4 c. Garlic, Finely Minced
1/2 Large Onion, Finely Minced

Rinse the short ribs under cool water in a collander; pat dry and set aside.

In a glass bowl, combine the remaining ingrediants and mix thoroughly. If you don't want to mince the garlic and onion by hand, you can place them in a food processor and pulse until it is finely minced - almost in a puree form.

Place the ribs in a large Ziploc bag and pour the marinade over the ribs and seal the bag.  Massage the marinade and meat together until the marinade is thoroughly distributed over the ribs.  Place the Ziploc bag in a baking dish (just in case the marinade leaks out of the bag) and place in the refrigerator.  I like to let my ribs marinade over-night, but if you don't want to wait that long - at least let them marinade for 6-8 hours...you don't want to short change yourself on flavor by cutting the time short.  I try to turn the bag once in the middle of it marinading to make sure all of the ribs get evenly marinaded.

When you're ready to cook the ribs, pre-heat the oven to 450 degrees and line a baking sheet with foil.  Place the ribs on the foil lined baking sheet in a single layer - careful to not crowd them.  If you need to use (2) baking sheet  I would recommend it so you don't end up "steaming" your ribs.  Bake the ribs for 14-15 minutes; flipping them halfway through.

You can also grill the ribs, cooking the for the same amount of time.  I prefer to bake them because I like to pour the drippings over my rice....oh yeah -serve with steamed rice :)

No comments:

Post a Comment