Friday, October 14, 2011

Texas Minestrone

There's nothing like a big bowl of homemade soup when you're feeling under the weather.  I'm a little spoiled when it comes to soup - my Mommy used to make me homemade soup when I was sick, so now that I'm a  "big kid" I refuse to eat canned soup when I'm sick....in fact the thought of it makes me gag.  Homemade soup is so comforting and perhaps it's just a mind thing - but I think it really does help take away the "ickiness".

3 tbsp. butter
1-1.5 lbs of Ground Chuck or Course Ground Beef for Chili
1 tbsp. Tony Chachere's More Spice Seasoning
1 small onion, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 can of Chipotle Tomatoes, diced
1 can of Corn, drained
1 can of Red Kidney Beans, drained and rinsed
1/4 c. Worcestershire Sauce
1 box of Beef Stock
2 c. of cooked macaroni noodles

Melt the butter in a heavy pot and add the ground beef and Tony Chachere's seasoning; stirring and breaking up the meat.  Cook the meat until it is lightly browned.  Next add the onion and bell pepper and cook until the onion is transparent.  If there is an excess amount of grease in the pot, you can drain it at this point -otherwise add the tomatoes, corn, and red beans and stir the mixture until everything is well mixed.  Add the Worcestershire and beef stock - I use anywhere between 2/3 of a box to a full box of stock.  Bring the soup to a boil and reduce the temperature to medium-low/low, cover and simmer.

In the meantime, in a seperate pot - cook the macaroni noodles according to the package.  I like to cook my pasta al dente so when I add it to my soup it doesn't get too soggy.

When you're ready to eat the soup, put about 1/4c. of the cooked macaroni noodles in a bowl and add the soup mixture to the bowl.  Sprinkle with parmesan cheese or some shredded cheddar cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment