Thursday, May 30, 2013

Buffalo Chicken Spaghetti and Strawberry Lemonade Dump Cake

I'm baaaaaack....after a year and half, but hey sometimes you have to lose yourself to find yourself again - right?  After being on a sabbatical I come bearing gifts - well recipes....two to be exact, with many more to follow!

I've played around with this recipe for a while and I think I've finally perfected it.  I love spaghetti and I love hot wings - so why not combine the two and create something magical and sinful!

Buffalo Chicken Spaghetti

(2) lbs. of ground chicken; 85/15
(1) small onion, finely diced
1/2 c. carrots, finely diced
1/2 c. celery, finely diced
(15) oz. can of tomato sauce
1/2 c. - 1c. of Franks Red Hot (more or less to your taste)
(1) tbsp. Sriracha (more or less to your taste)
(1) tbsp. of garlic olive oil (or garlic infused oil)
(1) tbsp. of butter
1/2 tbsp. kosher salt
27 turns of black pepper from a pepper mill
Blue Cheese
Green Onions

In a large pot heat the garlic olive oil and butter over medium high heat.  Add the onion, carrots, and celery and sweat the veggies until the onions are translucent and the carrots are soft.  Next add the ground chicken, and begin breaking it up to small crumbles - be sure to cook the chicken until it is no longer pink.  At this point you can choose to drain it or keep some of the oil - I didn't have a lot of excess fat from the chicken so I didn't drain it, but keep in mind that if you do drain it you are losing some of the flavor from the garlic oil.

OK- moving on...

Next add the can of tomato sauce, Frank's Red Hot, and Sriracha.  Out of habit, I use a little bit of water to rinse the can and pour the liquid into my sauce - but do whatever you normally do.  Bring the sauce to a boil, and reduce to medium low and simmer for a minimum of 30 minutes - the longer the better.  I simmered for almost 2 hours and stirred the sauce every 30 minutes to ensure it didn't stick to the bottom or sides of the pan.

When you're ready to nosh - I recommend serving this over spaghetti (hence the name).  I've tried this with penne, rigatoni, and orechiette - but spaghetti is my favorite.  If you're doing low carb or paleo - you can serve this over spaghetti squash or zucchini noodles.  Garnish with Blue Cheese and Green Onions.

*Alternative use for this sauce - make Buffalo Chicken Sloppy Joe's with this sauce!  Just reduce the sauce to a thicker consistency or reduce the amount of tomato sauce by half, as well as, adjust the amount of Frank's.

* * * BONUS RECIPE * * *

This next recipe is super simple!!!  I love dump cakes - they're a cross between a cobbler and a pie (at least I think so).  The traditional recipe that is floating around on the internet calls for canned cherry pie mix and a can of crushed pineapple which I had neither in my pantry.  It also called for white or yellow cake mix...which I didn't have either LOL!  I had a butt load of strawberries that were on the verge of going bad and a random box of lemon cake mix - so this recipe was created based on my love for strawberry lemonade and what I happen to have on hand.  It's sweet, tangy, and so not chocolate (which by the way - I'm not a huge fan of chocolate desserts).  You may need to tweak the amount of sugar used to macerate the fruit based on the ripeness of it and the natural sweetness.

Strawberry Lemonade Dump Cake


3 lbs. of fresh strawberries, diced
2/3 c. sugar
Zest from (1) Lemon
Juice from 1/2 a Lemon (just use the same lemon)
1 box of Duncan Hines Lemon Supreme Cake
2 Sticks of Butter (no exceptions or substitutions), sliced into 1/2 tbsp. slices.

Day Before
Combine the strawberries and sugar in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate over-night.

Next Day
Pre-heat oven to 350º.

Pour the strawberries (and the strawberry juice) into a greased 9x13 baking dish. Sprinkle the lemon zest over the strawberries and squeeze the juice of half a lemon over the strawberries. Next, pour the dry cake mix evenly over the strawberries and gently pat down the mixture. Dot the top of the cake mix with all of the butter and place in oven. Bake until a dark golden brown- I think it was close to an hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment