Saturday, June 15, 2013

Pizza with Pizzazz

I FREAKIN LOVE PIZZA - Chicago, New York, or St. Louis style; Mr. Jims, Pizza Hut, or Dominos- you name it I love it!  I don't eat it as often as I would like, but when I do indulge, I like to make it at home because I can either make it pseudo healthy or completely decadent.  Plus I can control the amount of toppings AND the way it's made; nothing is worse than ordering a pizza, only to find that almost all of the jalapenos are on one slice or the mushrooms you ordered are pretty much non-existent....so annoying!  Besides, making pizza at home is a great way to get kids involved in the kitchen and an awesome way to entertain at your home for a fun, relaxed evening with friends.

How you choose to make your pizza is up to you; you can go traditional or you can pizzazz it up, but most importantly - it should be fun.  Here are my three favorite "pizzazzed" up pizzas to make at the casa - happy noshing!


When I'm being good
Pepperoni and Kale Pizza

**Pizza Dough
Pizza Sauce
Turkey Pepperoni
Sautéed Kale (prep recipe below)
Pickled Jalapenos
Shredded Mozzarella Cheese

Prep:  Sauté (2) cups of kale in garlic oil and a ¼ c. crushed red pepper.  Once kale has wilted, season with sea salt, black pepper and juice from ½ a lemon.  Set aside and let cool.

Pre-heat the oven to 450. 
 
Roll the pizza dough out to the size and shape you prefer (round or rectangular), spread ½ c. of the pizza sauce over the dough.  Next, sprinkle the sautéed kale and pickled jalapenos over the pizza.  Top the pizza with mozzarella, followed by the turkey pepperoni.

Bake until the crust is golden brown on the edges and the cheese has melted – about 15 minutes.


When I'm being kinda good...
Chicken Caesar Pizza
**Pizza Dough
½ c. *Central Market Caesar Dressing, plus extra to dress the romaine
Fresh Mozzarella, Sliced Thin
1 Chicken Breast, cooked and finely chopped
Parmesan Cheese
Crushed Red Pepper
3 c. Hearts of Romaine, chopped

Prep:   Dice the chicken breast and season it generously with salt and pepper.  In a skillet, heat up 1 tbsp of oil (I use garlic infused oil) and 1 tbsp of butter.  Add your chicken and cook until it is no longer pink.  Cool the chicken and dice it into smaller bite size pieces.

Pre-heat the oven to 450. 

Roll out the pizza dough to either a round or rectangle.  Spread the Caesar dressing evenly over the dough.  Next place the fresh mozzarella on the pizza; I like to break off pieces of the mozzarella into smaller pieces about the size of a half dollar and place it evenly around the pizza, followed by the finely diced chicken.  Last, I like to sprinkle about 1/4c. of parmesan cheese and up to 1 tbsp of crushed red pepper on the pizza before baking it.  Bake the pizza until the cheese is melted and the crust is golden brown.

....When I'm in denial
The next step is optional.  The pizza is yummy with or without the addition of the Caesar salad on top.  I like it both ways, so it’s really what you and your family prefer.

Optional: While the pizza is cooling (10 minutes), clean your romaine and chop it into bite size pieces.  When the pizza is almost done, toss the lettuce with Caesar dressing - however much you use to dress it is up to you.  Top the pizza with the dressed romaine, slice it, and dive in.

*If you don’t have access to a Central Market, Cardini’s Caesar Dressing is a good substitute and is available in almost every grocery store.



When I don't care :)
Pecan Roquefort Grape Pizza
**Pizza Dough
Fresh Mozzarella, Sliced Thin
1 cup of seedless red grapes, sliced in half
½ c. of Roquefort cheese crumbles
½ c. of chopped pecans

Pre-heat the oven to 450. 

Roll out the pizza dough to either a round or rectangle.  Place the fresh mozzarella on the pizza; I like to break off pieces of the mozzarella into smaller pieces about the size of a half dollar and place it evenly around the pizza.   Next, place the grapes on the pizza – I prefer cut side down so they don’t roll off of the pizza when I move it.  Sprinkle the Roquefort cheese crumbles and pecans over the pizza and bake the pizza until the cheese is melted and the crust is golden brown.

The next step is the hardest step – let the pizza cool to room temp – trust me!  I tried the pizza fresh out of the oven and it was good, I let it cool to room temp and it was pure deliciousness!


**Ok, so when I make pizza at home, I either buy the dough fresh from Central Market at the Chef's Case or I'll buy the Pilsbury Thin Crust Pizza Dough which is available in the same section as the canned biscuits.  My recipes below are created using the fresh pizza dough from CM, but if you use the Pilsbury pizza dough - be sure to follow the directions on the label to prep the dough. 

No comments:

Post a Comment