Sunday, June 16, 2013

Grandma's Kitchen - Spaghetti and Meat Sauce

My Grandma’s cooking was pretty straight forward – salt and pepper; nothing fancy, fairly simple - but some of the meals she made are still some of my favorite food memories.  It took me years to figure out this recipe because I didn’t have access to her recipes when she passed away.  I knew she used bacon grease to cook the meat and veggies in, but I could never get the amount of meat, veggies, and seasonings right – possible in part because she used to use freshly canned tomato sauce.  I always added different seasonings (basil, oregano, Italian seasoning) thinking that was the missing element, but in reality I was making more complicated than what it really was.  I’ve added a few things to this recipe and tweaked a few things to make it my own (the 4 cloves of garlic and the crushed red pepper), but the flavor profile of this sauce is definitely her sauce with a little kick.  The key to this sauce is the amount of bacon grease and the amount of time you let it simmer - so don't skimp on the bacon grease or the time you need to simmer it.  I did end up skimming off some of the fat from the sauce prior to tossing it with the pasta, only because I could not in good conscience consume that much grease.   Luckily, the smoky flavor was still present and after my first bite – it took me back to my childhood when I use to spend my summers with my grandparents.  In fact to be more specific, it reminded me of the time my Pappy took me and my cousins bike riding on the Towpath Trail and my cousin Marc ran into a tree, because this is what we ate prior to our bike ride that day LOL (don’t kill me Marc xoxo)!!!  Ok – I’m starting to ramble, so here is a recipe from my childhood that brings comfort to my heart when I make it – hopefully it will do the same to yours. 


Grandma’s Spaghetti with Meat Sauce

1 lb. of Ground Sirloin
2 Green Bell Peppers, diced
1 Small Onion, diced
4 Cloves of Garlic, minced
1 Jar of Ragu, Old World Style Traditional Sauce
½ c. of water
1 tbsp. of Crushed Red Pepper
1 tbsp. of Kosher Salt
½ tbsp. of Black Pepper
2 tbsp. of bacon drippings
12 oz. of Thin Spaghetti, cooked to al dente

In a large pot, melt the bacon drippings.  Add the ground sirloin, seasoning it with the salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper.  While cooking the meat, break it up into small crumbles and cook it until it is no longer pink. Next add the peppers, onions, and garlic – cooking it for an additional 5 minutes.  Add the sauce to the pot, then add the 1/2c. of water to the jar of spaghetti sauce (placing the lid back on) and shake it.  Pour the liquid into the pot and bring the sauce to a boil; reduce the heat to medium low and simmer the sauce for a minimum of 1 hour.

Thirty minutes prior to serving, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the spaghetti until al dente and drain.  Return the spaghetti noodles to the pot and place it on the stove over medium low heat.  Begin ladling the sauce over the spaghetti noodles, tossing the noodles with the sauce just until the noodles are coated with the meat sauce.  Serve the spaghetti with the extra sauce ladled over the top with grated parmesan cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment